
When I first heard raw foodists gush over zucchini "pasta" (zucchini sliced into long thin strips resembling pasta), I have to admit it left me cold. Yuk! But after watching Jennifer Cornbleet's DVD, I just knew I had to give it a try.
Jennifer shows two ways to make zucchini pasta--one using a vegetable peeler and the other using a "spiral slicer"--a gizmo that you can buy online. I tried the vegetable peeler method and didn't feel that I was getting a very good result. So I grabbed the Benriner "Cook's Help"--a Japanese tool for making all sorts of garnishes, pulled it out of its box and without even reading the directions, got started. I took a long straight zucchini, peeled it and cut it into halves. Then I inserted the zucchini onto the small skewer and started turning the handle, giving it even pressure. Underneath I found a mound of what looked like angel hair pasta! I processed 3 medium-large zucchinis and had a nice bowlful.
I had already made Jennifer's raw tomato sauce which she swears tastes just like cooked. I added a little sweetener, honey, and warmed it up slightly in a pan on my stove top. Then I mixed it in with the "pasta" just before we all sat down to eat. As I mixed the sauce into the noodles, the noodles softened a bit. But here is the surprising thing...EVERYONE LIKED IT!
In the future, I think I will tweak her sauce recipe a bit, but one thing I have to admit...the whole operation took me about 20 minutes to make, sauce AND pasta. I can see myself making this at least once or maybe twice a week. I'm also excited to make other types of sauces, such as a mock "Thai Peanut Sauce" made with almond butter.
Raw Marinara Sauce
Yield 1 cup (I doubled it for 4 people)
1 ripe tomato, seeded and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked or oil-packed
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 T. minced fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried (I vastly prefer fresh)
1 tsp. dried oregano (I think I will cut down on this one next time and make sure I crush it between my palms before adding it)
1/2 tsp. crushed garlic (1 small clove)
salt and pepper to taste
dash cayenne
Place all ingredients in a food processor fitted with the S blade and process until smooth. (Actually I processed the veggies and then added the oil in last.) Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Stored in a sealed container in the frig, this sauce will keep for three days.
Jennifer shows two ways to make zucchini pasta--one using a vegetable peeler and the other using a "spiral slicer"--a gizmo that you can buy online. I tried the vegetable peeler method and didn't feel that I was getting a very good result. So I grabbed the Benriner "Cook's Help"--a Japanese tool for making all sorts of garnishes, pulled it out of its box and without even reading the directions, got started. I took a long straight zucchini, peeled it and cut it into halves. Then I inserted the zucchini onto the small skewer and started turning the handle, giving it even pressure. Underneath I found a mound of what looked like angel hair pasta! I processed 3 medium-large zucchinis and had a nice bowlful.
I had already made Jennifer's raw tomato sauce which she swears tastes just like cooked. I added a little sweetener, honey, and warmed it up slightly in a pan on my stove top. Then I mixed it in with the "pasta" just before we all sat down to eat. As I mixed the sauce into the noodles, the noodles softened a bit. But here is the surprising thing...EVERYONE LIKED IT!
In the future, I think I will tweak her sauce recipe a bit, but one thing I have to admit...the whole operation took me about 20 minutes to make, sauce AND pasta. I can see myself making this at least once or maybe twice a week. I'm also excited to make other types of sauces, such as a mock "Thai Peanut Sauce" made with almond butter.
Raw Marinara Sauce
Yield 1 cup (I doubled it for 4 people)
1 ripe tomato, seeded and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked or oil-packed
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 T. minced fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried (I vastly prefer fresh)
1 tsp. dried oregano (I think I will cut down on this one next time and make sure I crush it between my palms before adding it)
1/2 tsp. crushed garlic (1 small clove)
salt and pepper to taste
dash cayenne
Place all ingredients in a food processor fitted with the S blade and process until smooth. (Actually I processed the veggies and then added the oil in last.) Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Stored in a sealed container in the frig, this sauce will keep for three days.
4 comments:
Did you peel the zucchini because it wasn't organic or just so it looked more like real noodles? I love zucchini with marinara sauce. I've never eaten a raw version but this is a staple for us during gardening season. I was thinking that it could be very visually appealing to have the green contrast against the red. You can also do this with yellow squash. How pretty! :)
Sandra
I peeled the zucchini first because that's how it was done in the DVD! :-)I suppose you could leave the peel on. BTW, it was an organic zucchini.
I think this garnish gizmo will be lots of fun. I've already tried making "angel hair" out of a large carrot and a beet. Soon, I'll figure out how to change the blade and try one of the other sizes!
That looks sooo good! This is something I expect you to make when I get home.
Lila,
I'll teach you how to make it and then you can make it for all of us when you get home!
Mom
Post a Comment