Thursday, February 21, 2008

Marinated Vegetables and Pesto Pasta


Apparently marinating vegetables is a way to soften them without cooking, so I decided to give it a try since all of that chewing can get a bit tiresome! I tried the recipe from Raw Food Made Easy and I only wish I had made it a bit earlier to get some extra marinating time in. However, it was delicious and everyone took seconds.

This recipe is for one serving only, so please multiply according to your family size. Make sure you have enough of the marinade--I think we were a little lacking.

I served this with Zucchini Pasta and Pesto Sauce and a side of sliced tomatoes drizzled with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Very yummy!

Marinated Vegetables

1 cup small broccoli florets

6 cremini mushrooms, quartered

1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot

3 T. Lemon Herb Dressing (or any vinaigrette will do)

Place all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Toss well with your hands, working the dressing into the vegetables. Marinate for 4 to 12 hours in the refrigerator before serving. Will keep for 3 days stored in a sealed container in the frig. Bring to room temp before serving.

Lemon Herb Dressing (yield: 3/4 cup)

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1 T. minced fresh herbs (parsley, basil, dill,mint, tarragon, or oregano)

1/2 tsp. crushed garlic

1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard (optional)

dash black pepper

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Place the lemon juice, herbs, garlic, salt, mustard and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add the olive oil and whisk again until well blended. Will keep for 5 days in frig.

Variations: replace lemon juice with lime juice and add cilantro, dash of cayenne and ground cumin

No comments: