Tuesday, February 5, 2008

How to Eat One Pound of Greens per Day


We are attempting to adopt the maximum healing/cleansing version of the "Daniel's Diet" described in James and Colleen Simmon's book Original Fast Foods. The plan calls for consuming 1 lb of leafy greens, either raw or blended, per day. That's a lot of greens!
On Friday, I measured 1 lb of salad greens out and when my husband came home for lunch, there was this huge bowl of salad that would normally feed about 12 people! He made a small dent in it and then took it back to work with him to munch on like a rabbit. Even then, he only ate about half of it.
Obviously, we needed a different plan.
So now, every morning I measure out 4 oz of greens (using my scale at first until I can eyeball it), and blend those into a breakfast smoothie. Then I give him 8 oz of greens in his lunch salad (which he still can't eat at one setting, but gets through almost all of it during the course of an afternoon at work). Then the plan is to juice the other 4 oz at night with some carrot juice. That makes up one whole pound of baby spinach, mixed spring greens and romain lettuce. What a feat! Pretty soon I'll be adding kale and chard to the mix.

Another part of the plan is to eat a combination of 2 lbs of solid green veggies and non-green, non-starchy veggies. I measure these out as well, but put only 1 lb in his salad and hope to get the other lb in at dinner. In the last few days I've used tomatoes, avocado, sugar snap peas, baby carrots, cucumbers, radishes and red, orange or yellow bell peppers. I also add sprouted lentils and cooked legumes, like kidney beans. He adds a drizzle of Udo's Choice oil blend with a shake of Ranch Dressing Season Mix (a bit of a cheat, but sure helps the salad go down!). And then it's munch, munch, munch! David Wolfe (raw food guru) says that chewing promotes seratonin production in the brain, which is definitely a plus during a Seattle winter!

No comments: