Today is sunny! How wonderful! My lawn is soggy, but my daughter dutifully got out the lawn mower and did the first mowing of the season. I planted some bulbs and did some pine needle raking and just enjoyed being out of doors.
I also grabbed my seed packets and started planning my vegetable garden. My soil is still just under 55 degrees, so I will probably wait another week or so to start planting. I will be planting kale, beets, broccoli, carrots, pole beans, summer squash and borage to attract pollinators for the squash. My next step is to turn the soil, add some organic fertilizer and/or compost, and section my raised off into 16 "square foot" sections. I'll also need to trim some tree branches that are starting to shade my beds.
The tomatoes and the peppers I plan to grow in my sunroom where it can get very hot!
When my college student (that's her picture above from a few years back when we helped at the Jubilee Farm) returns at the end of April, she will be happy to see our garden planted. She enjoys gardening and is better at it than I am.
Although I will also be getting food from my CSA, I am growing crops that compliment what I get there. It will be exciting to eat healthy fresh food from our itty bitty garden this year!
A garden requires consistent care and consistency is something that I am really working on. Someday, if I become a good gardener, I will know I have developed this trait. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment