

Spinach Mousse, Red Cabbage and Corn Slaw, Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Steamed Asparagus were all on our Easter dinner menu yesterday. The slaw had an interesting but good dressing made out of lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, liquid aminos and ground cinnamon. The spinach mousse was a success and I will be making it again, but next time I think I will experiment by adding some basil and garlic so it will be reminiscent of pesto--something my husband loves! Here is the recipe for the spinach mousse which is like an alternative to quiche. Next time I might try making this more like a pizza so that the mousse part is spread out like a sauce. It looked beautiful in the pie plate, but as pies often do, fell apart when we served it.
Spinach Mousse
Crust
2 cups almonds and/or pecans (3 cups for a thicker crust)
1 T. liquid aminos (or soy or tamari sauce)
2 - 4 T. water
1 T psyllium, or more (I used ground flax seeds)
The recipe asks you to soak and then dry the nuts. You can do that, but I didn't this time. I processed the nuts in my food processor and then added the other ingredients until it came together into a dough ball.
Press evenly into a pie plate. This took a few minutes, but keep at it. Then put it in a dehydrator for 60 minutes or in a low oven for 30 minutes.
Mousse
2 T. pine nuts, soaked for 20 minutes
1 lb spinach, torn in pieces (I used the baby spinach so no tearing needed!)
1/4 cup raw tahini
3 T. lemon juice
3 cups sliced mushrooms, including trimmed stems (leave 2 or 3 to decorate the top)
3/4 tsp. sea salt
5 T. water
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1-2 T. psyllium (Confession: I do not have psyllium and so I added nutritional yeast flakes and some ground flax seed. I really do need to try the psyllium!)
Process pine nuts, spinach, tahini, lemon juice, mushrooms, salt, and water in the food processor. While the processor is still running, gradually sprinkle in the nutmeg, then the psyllium. Pour into the pie crust. Decorate and chill for at least 30 minutes before eating.
No comments:
Post a Comment